Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Art Deco Collar


Artist Statement: This is my entry into the Etsy Beadweaver's August Challenge "Art Deco" (you can see all of the entries by searching for "EBWC" at the top of your ETSY screen). My inspiration for this Art Deco collar is the mixture of simple geometric design and the intracacy of detail found in Art Deco art and architecture. My necklace is a bold, beadwoven collar in hues of red, bronze, gold and black. The finished effect lends itself to a somewhat Egyptian flair.

This is my first piece where I pre-strung beads on the warp threads of my loom before I began weaving.

Not for the faint of heart, this is a substantial piece. It is made from 10mm Druk glass beads from the Czech Republic. For symmetry, 14mm black Swarovski glass pearls are draped on graduated strands of antiqued brass steel chain. Woven within the mesh are gold-plated diamond-cut bicone metal beads.

The piece is finished off with a antiqued sunburst toggle clasp.

No comments: